Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Holy Cow!

The Tribe's kitchen has been very busy with a certain boy having a birthday this week. Every year the kids ask for a special dinner and a special cake for their birthdays. This year's request was an especially large request. It was in fact for a cow!





 This cake was massive, the size of  9 cakes together. The base layer was chocolate with vanilla butter cream, the middle layer was yellow with chocolate butter cream and the top layer was again chocolate with vanilla butter cream. My fondant decided not to cooperate so ended up icing the entire cake in butter cream. The head was made from cereal treats and the accents were bits of colored fondant. These pictures are during the making. I wasn't able to get a photo of the finished product because just as the cake hit the table, said birthday boy ripped off the poor cow's head and took a huge bite. It was a success, the birthday boy enjoyed his cake!

Now I am by no means a cake decorator, but it seems that my children think I am. It is heart warming that they have so much faith in me. I think I keep pushing myself to fulfill their requests so that I can hold on to my "Cool Mom" status for a little longer and get those extra "your the best" exclamations and all the hugs that come with because I know all too soon those sentiments will be replaced with  "Really Mom?" and "No that's not my Mom" said in embarrassed tones.

No comments: