Thursday, October 23, 2008

Little dumplings











Sunday I got a late night apple dumpling request and I didn't feel like making it from scratch as I normally would so I cheated. Following my quick recipe you'll have your dumplings in the oven in minutes. All you need is a ready made pie crust, a melon baller, apple peeler (optional), butter knife, 3 Tablespoons cold butter, spices - cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice (I like to keep a mixture of these spices in a container so that whenever the mood strikes I'm ready for dumplings or pie or whatever.) & 2 medium sized apples.

First use your melon baller to core your apple, be sure not to go all the way through. Next peel your apple if you want to (not necessary), split your pie dough in 2 and place an apple in the center of each. Sprinkle some of the spices (to taste.) in the core of your apples, followed by 1/2 Tbsp. butter, then spices, then 1/2 Tbsp. butter, a final sprinkle of spices should top your apple and dot with remaining 1/2 Tbsp. butter and wrap in dough to cover. Bake in a 350 degree oven 30-45 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before eating. We love to eat ours with vanilla ice cream.

No comments: