Monday, October 27, 2008

Can't get enough oatmeal cranberry cookies


While perusing the aisles at BJ's the other day John tried an oatmeal cranberry cookie someone was doing a demo on and he loved it. He came home and told me how surprised he was that he liked it so I figured I would try to make them. How was I suppose to duplicate a cookie I hadn't tried? I had no idea what they tasted like or what kind of texture they were suppose to have. I ended up searching online to get a rough idea of what such a cookie would have in it which of course found about a bazillion different recipes. I did find one that caught my eye, it was suppose to be a healthy alternative to regular oatmeal cookies and since I'm always looking for good healthy recipes I decided to give it a shot. There was only a tablespoon of butter, used whole wheat flour and a good portion of the sweetness came from applesauce. They mixed up really quick and only took 10 minutes in the oven.
I let them cool for about 5 minutes before I brought one to John to see if they were anything like what he had and if he would notice that there was whole wheat flour in them. I waited close by while he tried it. He took a bite, looked at it and kept right on eating. I asked him if it was anything like what he had at BJ's, he said "no, but this is gooood." Next they had to pass muster with the kids, Bookworm said she liked them but would rather have applesauce (which is code for you made the mistake of telling me there were cranberries in these so now I'm not going to give them a chance). Cheeseburger boy and Super Why gobbled theirs down and Cheeseburger boy asked for more. Finally it was my turn to try them, they really are good. They aren't really a cookie consistency, kind of muffin like, not sure how to describe it. These would really make excellent breakfast cookies. I know what I'm having for breakfast in the morning!

No comments: